Exciting new opportunity to get involved with YACC!September 27, 2013
YACC’s life-changing work with young adults is only possible because thousands of people with varying connections to cancer are emotionally engaged in using their life to help others. From our first steps we have been focused on sharing stories to emotionally engage audiences in our mission. It’s time to take it to another level! And we need your help to do it.
We are looking for young adult survivors to help in the growth of YACC by sharing their stories with cancer and the lessons you have learned through this experience.
To be eligible for these positions, you must meet the following criteria:
- You are a young adult aged 18-39, who received a cancer diagnosis between the ages of 15 and 39;
- You have attended Retreat Yourself, Retreat Yourself Adventure, or Survivor Conference;
- You have experience and/or interest in building new relationships;
- You are flexible and available to make a time commitment to YACC; and,
- You are a “YACC fanatic” who wants to make YACC your philanthropic priority.
Note: Geography will be a consideration in the selection process.
- You are open to sharing stories of your experience with YACC, be vulnerable, and connect with others;
- You are in a place of peace and acceptance with your personal cancer experience;
- You are passionate about making an impact, and have an interest in volunteering;
- You have a positive attitude and approach challenges with creativity and optimism;
- You are empathetic, caring, and respectful;
- You’re a self-starter who is able to work independently and effectively manage time and does not get easily overwhelmed;
- You demonstrate integrity and trustworthiness;
- You have a demonstrated ability to see projects through from start to finish;
- You are not over-committed with other responsibilities (work, volunteer, family);
- You have solid written and oral communication skills; and,
- You are outgoing, friendly, charismatic, and enthusiastic about building community.
- Bilingualism is not necessary, but would be viewed as an asset
- Build and maintain relationships with local schools (i.e. principles, teachers, etc.);
- Share your story in schools and other youth/young adult focused venues; and,
- Be active on YACC’s social media and website (i.e. posts, your own YACC blog, etc.).
As this is a new program, the annual commitment may vary. For the first phase of this program (December 2013-May 2014) we ask that applicants are confident that they can commit approximately 20 hours per month, some of which will certainly be during regular working hours (9 a.m. – 5 p.m.).
We also require applicants to be available for a two- or three-day training weekend, plus travel time (Either November 6-9 or November 13-16, 2013). Training will take place in Newfoundland, and expenses will be covered.
This is a volunteer position and YACC is committed to ensuring it is cost-neutral for leaders involved in it.
If you meet the eligibility criteria and you want to help YACC reach more young adults by sharing your story, please complete the attached application form and email to Lesley Morrissey at firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, October 7, 2013.