New YA cancer support group series in Calgary!
This is the type of news I love to share! More programs for young adults dealing with cancer!
I received an email today from Anne Walker, the Community Engagement Coordinator for the Calgary office of the Canadian Cancer Society. This organization is bringing a support group to Calgary this fall especially for young adults dealing with cancer!
Here are the details:
– It is a FREE, eight-week support group series which is tailored to meet the needs of young adults living with cancer.
– The group is ideally suited for young adults, up to their mid-thirties.
– The groups are now forming for weekly evening sessions in October and November, 2009.
– The group consists of a series of eight, two-hour sessions which are co-facilitated by an experienced psychosocial professional and a young adult cancer survivor.
– Groups are small in size to facilitate peer support and open communication among group members.
– The session discussion topics are as follows:
o The emotional impact of cancer
o Taking charge of your care
o Talking about cancer
o Health issues
o Sexuality and relationships
o Coping strategies
o Long-term issues and rebuilding
o Self-advocacy and empowerment.
Location: Canadian Cancer Society; 200, 325 Manning Road NE; Calgary AB
Information and Registration: 403-205-3966 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
This is a great opportunity for any young adult in the Calgary region! Meeting other young adults who are going through what you are going through is an experience you can’t pass up!
Congratulations to Anne and her group on getting this started!