Retreat Yourself Adventure
Retreat Yourself Adventure gives 17 young adult cancer survivors and supporters a chance to tackle survivorship issues while ziplining and hiking in Newfoundland on an Adventure that will push their limits and challenge them physically and mentally.
The next event
Retreat Yourself Adventure 2017 (TBD)
Cancer does not stop after the last chemo drop, it takes time to recover from treatment, process what happened, and figure out what’s next. Once treatment is over, appointments are not as frequent, the body is healing, the physical strength improves, and expectations of what and how things should be creeps in. You have to deal with so many transitions and face a lot of questions. Getting back into a groove is not always as easy as we would like, but it is possible.
Retreat Yourself Adventure aims to help you navigate that unsettling phase. Together, we’ll go on an amazing adventure where we’ll take time to address what it means to be in that zone, and how to transition from it. We want you to leave this Retreat feeling empowered, both physically and mentally. You will gain tools and feel supported so you can move forward in or beyond your cancer experience.
What happens on an Adventure?
- You connect with a group of people that totally gets it;
- You have the chance to do activities that will allow you to face your fears and get to know yourself a little better;
- You are empowered to continue moving forward by growing your confidence in your body and mind post-treatment/cancer;
- You will recognize your strengths, push your limits, and let go of shit; and,
- You have the time of your cancer life!
Need more info? Click here for a PDF of a draft of the itinerary.
How to get involved
If you are interested in attending Retreat Yourself, send us an application and we will review your eligibility. Once we determine you meet our eligibility requirements, we will contact you with more information.
Please contact Karine at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or concerns.
This program is for those who are less interested in sitting around a cozy retreat centre and are more interested in discussing their cancer experiences while speeding through the forest in a harness or hiking difficult trails. The activities aren’t going to be easy, so you need to feel confident your body can take four days of real adventure activity.
For this program, it is important not only to fit the basic criteria but to also be in the right space mentally and physically. The bulk of the program will be demanding and we want you to live the full experience.
- Young adult cancer survivors between 18- and 39-years-old who were diagnosed between 15- and 39-years-old. You can bring one supporter who is also between 18 and 39.
- You have to be at least one year post-treatment and up to a maximum of five years post treatment. (If this is not you but you think you can take the challenge physically, connect with us.)
- You have to be in good and stable health.
- Some spaces are tentatively reserved for survivors and supporters who have never been to a YACC event, and a few more spaces will be set aside for alumni. All applications are approved on a first come, first served basis, so don’t delay!
Click here for the latest news from Retreat Yourself Adventure!