Volunteer needed for Localife Calgary!June 8, 2015
Localife is an initiative that involves young adult cancer survivors and supporters coming together to enjoy fun activities and social time with their peers. It was developed by Young Adult Cancer Canada (YACC) to address the isolation that many young adults face after diagnosis.
Every month or two, young adults and their supporters have a chance to get together for fun social activities such as movie nights, curling, mini golf, karaoke, hiking, and much more!
Localife has been running in Calgary for three years, and we are currently looking to fill the spot that will be left vacant by our lovely leader, Michelle.
To be eligible for this position, you must meet the following criteria:
- You’re a young adult aged 18-39, who received (or support someone who received) a cancer diagnosis between the ages of 15 and 39;
- You live in, or near, Calgary;
- You, or the person you support, are at least one year post-treatment; and,
- You have attended at least one YACC event (if you have never attended a YACC event, you must provide at least one reference from a professional involved in providing cancer care/support.)
- Passionate about helping others and a demonstrated commitment to volunteering;
- Outgoing, friendly, charismatic, and enthusiastic about building community;
- Have a positive attitude and approaches challenges with creativity and optimism;
- Empathetic, caring, and respectful;
- A self-starter who is able to work independently and effectively manage time, and does not get easily overwhelmed;
- Demonstrates integrity and trustworthiness;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Demonstrated ability to see projects through from start to finish;
- In a place of peace and acceptance with their personal cancer experience;
- Not over-committed with other responsibilities (work, volunteer, family); and,
- Bilingualism is not necessary but would be viewed as an asset.
Educational/professional background in one of the following areas is preferred, but not necessary:
- Social Work
- Health promotion
- Recreation therapy
- Art therapy
- Volunteer coordination
- Event planning
- Digital media (i.e. social networking sites; making videos; etc)
Support: To coordinate and facilitate four to six Localife activities per year, and to serve as a liaison between local survivors/supporters and YACC. This involves some administrative work (data entry, writing blogs, etc.), so comfort with word processing tools is an asset.
Awareness/Advocacy: To nurture existing relationships with health professionals and foster new ones, and to ensure local cancer centres, hospitals, and community-based cancer organizations are well-stocked with up-to-date YACC resource materials.
We ask that all people interested in applying are confident that they can commit approximately 10 hours per month from June 2015 to June 2016.
We also require applicants to be available for an online training in July 2015. Date to be determined.
This is a volunteer position, however, YACC will provide an honorarium to Localife leaders to ensure they do not incur costs through participation in the program.
Hear what some of our other leaders had to say about their experiences:
“Localife has provided me with great fulfillment in both my professional development, and general well-being. I started as a Localife leader directly after finishing treatment, and at that point didn’t realize the amount of support I would need from my peers. Through facilitating these events, and networking with a number of survivors, I was able to release some of that anxiety and tension I felt towards my health trauma I had experienced. For that I will be eternally grateful. YACC is a pretty special thing.”
– Michelle Hume, Localife Calgary
“Being a Localife leader is an amazing experience. You are creating opportunities for young adult cancer patients and survivors to break from the isolation of cancer and connect with their peers. Seeing new connections being made, new friendships being formed, and helping to build the community are some of the best rewards of being a Localife leader.”
– Chris Chow, Localife Ottawa
If you think you’d make a great Localife leader and you meet the eligibility criteria, please complete an online application form or Word doc by June 14, 2015. If you have any trouble accessing the online form, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for alternative options. Thanks!