You have all the training and expertise to lead a world-class study on young adults with cancer. You are the kind of communicator who has the passion and the skills to take your knowledge and share it with the people it will help most. You are the kind of relationship builder who loves to build partnerships, secure funds, and change the world with a team of equally committed people. You are excited and motivated to co-create a community-based and community-led research project that meaningfully engages and responds to the needs of young adults and creates tangible changes for young adults living with, through, and beyond cancer.
We are looking for an ambitious, independent team player. Your focus will be on excellence — not to be confused with perfection — and your drive will ensure you are the engine that will incite change for young adults dealing with cancer at every stage.
Young Adult Cancer Canada (YACC) is a charity supporting young adults with every type of cancer, at every stage of their experience and disease, from coast to coast to coast. We are dedicated to supporting young adults living with, through, and beyond cancer. YACC has a small and mighty team dedicated to growing our community to 10,000 young adults (a.k.a. YACCers) nationwide. We are taking things to the next level for the 22 young adults diagnosed with cancer every day in Canada with a community-based and community-led research study to complement our supportive programming. Our Director of Research will champion this effort. Our flexible culture offers an opportunity for you to join us from anywhere in Canada, or moving to The Rock (Newfoundland) is also an option if you aren’t here already.
About the role
The Director of Research is a new position with YACC that will lead our next great research initiative to better understand the young adult cancer experience in Canada. In collaboration with our community members with lived experience, partners at world-class universities, hospitals, and community partners, the Director of Research will design and execute research projects that seek to better understand the young adult cancer experience, needs, and gaps, and identify potential solutions for their challenges. Supporting program evaluation and evidence-based design for our existing and new program offerings will also be an important aspect of the role. You will lead the launch of our first longitudinal study of the young adult cancer population in this two-year research contract (with the potential for renewal) with YACC.
Our priority is to communicate this research directly to our community and stakeholders through media that make sense for them, but we are also supportive of exploring more traditional knowledge dissemination pathways.
SOME EXTRA IMPORTANT STUFF
What you will be doing
- You will report to the Executive Director and oversee, direct, and manage the execution of community-based research projects in all phases, including methodology and public-facing deliverables
- Oversee and monitor the associated budget and ensure that the research agenda aligns with and supports the general goals of the projects and also aligns with YACC’s values and culture
- Coordinate and support training and workshops for peer co-researchers
- In collaboration with peer co-researchers, lead and support all phases of the research projects, including establishing research objectives, methods, analyses, reporting on outcomes, and writing the final report
- Support and pursue funding that will sustain this role as well as grow the research potential of the YACC community
- Ensure that research data collection meets privacy protection standards and processes
What you will need
- Completion of a graduate degree (PhD preferred) or equivalent in a related field. Tell us why your lens will best serve this community and role
- Minimum two years’ experience in a research role within the charitable or public sectors (hospital, healthcare, public health preferred) with a focus on social research and/or systems change)
- Experience in participatory action research, patient-oriented research, community-based research, action research, and/or community development with marginalized populations (or equivalent)
- Knowledge of cancer/oncology systems and needs, especially for young adults with cancer, and previous work with similar lived-experience communities and a willingness to learn more
Compensation will be determined by the job class and the candidates experience and capabilities brought to the position. The hiring range for this position is between $75,000-$90,000.
You should click here to apply to be the next star on our star-studded team. We want to talk more about your research experience, volunteering, or work with community organizations and how you envision your role on YACC’s team. We want to share our culture built on trust and empowerment, our incredible team, and how we take care of each other through our pursuit of operational excellence. We want to collaborate with you to grow and change the world while having the most fun at work possible.
For more information about this opportunity please email [email protected].